Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Thinking outside the box

I had some routine questions today and a stumper, stumping me mostly because I couldn't think past how we do it at Penfield. Patron had a specific article that I determined was from Conference Proceedings -- wanted electronic access that she thought she should be able to get. I looked in their catalog by the conference proceedings title and got thousands!! of results. Took me way too long to think of searching by the article title, which is how they were cataloged. Then I got two results and, pretty quickly, was able to determine from their policies page that the problem was that she needed to log-on before accessing the catalog e-link.

Most of the questions I had today seemed very local in nature, which is why I created a script just now for librarians helping with our local information queries -- suggesting they call or email us directly. Have you run into things that you think I should address in our institution scripts?

No comments:

Post a Comment