Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Two Sessions

Yesterday my main question was about getting ivy out of your lawn. Can't say that I did a good job with this one, but I did find some "garden expert" websites and forums that I sent along to the patron. Then Chris forwarded a chat in progress from Bryant & Stratton -- worked like a charm.

Today I had a few questions about finding journal articles and someone in Czech. who wanted to interview an African American about the 40s-60s. I referred him to the African American studies department of the university through which he was asking the question, although it was not his univ.

What I learned... I learned today that I think it is better to TELL someone you are referring their question than to ASK them if that's what they would like. I had someone looking for online copies of paper journal articles, that she thought were in the library. I found no online journal by the right title, and her course was not in reserves. I was out of ideas, but I thought the local library could help her. When asked, she did not want me to refer her question, but probably because she "didn't want to bother them". Next time I will say, "I'm going to send this to your library so they can let you know if they have any information about this .... "

No comments:

Post a Comment