Friday, June 5, 2009

Library hours and Hydropower on the Nu River

I had two questions today:

My first question was about when their library closed that day. The hours link from the Policies page was undergoing maintenance so I went to the library's web page and clicked on the hours link and retrieved a closing time from there.

My second question was a student from Hawaii who needed journal articles about a hydropower dam on the Nu River in China. There were newspaper articles out there but not much journal literature. He/she was in a geography class and his/her library had a lot of good subject guides including one for geography. Unfortunately ASP, Geobase, Georef, JSTOR, etc didn't help. We began to try other guides like Political Science that included GreenFile and the Environmental Studies guide that included Project Muse but it was a struggle. We found a couple possibilities but I was 45 minutes over my time and I had to refer him/her to his/her home library for more help.

1 comment:

  1. Another option we have in a case like this is transferring to someone who has recently logged on. I don't mind an extra few minutes on a question, but I would want to transfer a question that looked like it was going to be a long process -- although sometimes I know it's really hard to tell. I've never done this, so perhaps it's something we should practice if we can.

    ReplyDelete